- 6 medium size bananas (the riper, the better!)
- 4 tbsp flax meal
- 1 cup warm almond milk (unsweetened, preferably)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- pinch o’ salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional!)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin trays with vegan margarine.
- Mash bananas until goop-y. Set aside.
- Mix flax meal with almond milk, and set that aside too.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, apple sauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Then add in the flax meal mixture and the bananas.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt. Add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients using a spatula and mix until just combined — don’t overmix!
- Fold in the walnuts, then fill muffin tins with the mixture.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove from tins and place on rack to cool — then eat and enjoy!
This item was part of our food swap on April 29th, 2013. This dish was swapped for:
- Gill & Brian’s Beet Salad
- Jenn’s Honey-Roasted Chickpeas and Kale + Carrot Salad
- Natalie’s Butternut Squash Hummus
- Willie’s Apple Chutney
- Ben’s Mango & Bean Salad
Check out all the recipes on our April Swap Round-Up Post!
FYI: This recipe makes 24 muffins!