This recipe is adapted from Dinner is Vegan‘s website.
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or peanut oil
- 1 large onion, diced finely
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 teaspoons garam masala (if you don’t have this, mix together cumin, coriander, cardamom, pepper, cloves, and nutmeg–this will come close!)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup broth
- 1-inch cube fresh ginger, peeled and minced finely
- 1 bunch of kale, washed and coarsely ripped into pieces
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Roast the butternut squash by cutting it in half, scooping out the seeds, drizzling it lightly with olive oil and placing it in a 400°F oven for about 30-45 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a bit pot, and then saute the onions for a couple minutes, and then add in the garlic and saute that as well. Chop up the roasted squash into bite-size pieces and then add that and cook for a bit as well. Next, toss in the spices, salt and ginger. Stir, and then add the broth.
- Keep cooking it for about 5 minutes, and then add the kale. This recipe originally called for spinach, but by using kale instead, it keeps a bit of its crunch and adds a whole new texture to the dish. Keep stirring and cooking for a couple minutes, then add the lime juice and you’re done.
- Enjoy over some rice or naan bread!
This item was part of our food swap on March 25th, 2013. This dish was swapped for:
- Hannah R’s Tea Blend
- Jasmine’s Orange and Chia Seed Muffin
- Hannah M’s Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Alison’s Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip and Oatmeal Cookies
- Sonia’s Lemon Cranberry Scones