- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 to 3 tsp dried dill (or 2 to 3 Tbsp freshly minced)
- 1 Tbsp mild paprika
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk (at room temperature)
- black pepper, to taste
- Toppings! If you want: sour cream & minced fresh parsley.
1. Melt the butter in a Dutch oven (or a deep pot). Add the onions, and saute them over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt, dill and paprika. Stir well and cover. Let cook for about 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice.
2. Gradually sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly. Cook and stir another 5 minutes or so over medium-low heat. Add water, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
3. Stir in milk; add black pepper to taste. Check to see if it needs more salt. Optional: whisk in sour cream (1/2 a cup’s worth) and heat very gently. Don’t boil it or cook it past this point. Serve hot, topped with freshly minced parsley.
This item was part of our food swap on March 25th, 2013. This dish was swapped for:
- Natalie’s Butternut Squash and Kale Saag
- Jenn’s Smokey Lentil Chard Soup
- Jasmine’s Orange and Chia Seed Muffin
- Hannah R’s Relaxing Tea Blend