- 10 oz old cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 12 oz. can of corn, drained (reserve the liquid)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp of the reserved corn liquid
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Butter a 10-inch or 11-inch round pie plate or quiche dish. Shred cheese, put ¼ cup into the work bowl of a food processor, and keep the remainder of it in a separate bowl.
2. Add green onions and jalapeno to the food processor and mince it up.
3. Add corn, oil, eggs, corn liquid and sugar and then run the machine for 10 seconds.
4. Add cornmeal, flour, and baking powder and mix with on and off turns until incorporated.
5. Do not over process! I won’t even tell you what happens if you do, because it is too terrifying!
6. Spread a thin layer of cheese on the bottom and sides of the prepared dish, saving the remainder for the top. Pour in the batter and cover with the rest of cheese.
7. Bake for 20 minutes if you’re using the 11-inch dish, or 25 minutes if you’re using the 10-inch dish.
8. Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This item was part of our food swap on January 28th, 2013. This dish was swapped for:
- Couscous Salad
- Irish Soda Bread
- Chocolate, Zucchini and Walnut Muffins (recipe coming soon!)
- Beet, Yam & Carrot Soup
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- Zucchini Mini Patties
- Sweet Cheese Phyllo Pie