Prepared and submitted by Jasmine Chorley Foster, author of Best Morning Blog, who “barely adapted” the recipe from Daily Muse Blog (itself an adaption of a Barefoot Contessa recipe). What should you take from that modification trail? That you should tweak and customize to make this sweet versatile dish your own!
- 6 – 8 apples (I used Gala)
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Tiny pinch of ground cloves
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Core, dice and peel apples. Place them in a roomy baking dish with a lid.
3. Add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
4. Cover with lid and cook for a bit over an hour, until the apples are very soft.
5. Using a fork or a handheld blender, smush the apples. I recommend not smushing to the point of liquifying because getting a mouthful of sauce with some chunks of apple is quite satisfying.
This item was part of our food swap on November 15th, 2012. Jasmine swapped her apple sauce for the following items: