Preparation time: 1 hour
- 1 bulb roasted garlic
- 2 (796 ml) cans of whole tomatoes
- 1 (156 ml) can of tomato paste
- 1 (540 ml) can of navy beans – drained
- 1 (796 ml) can of red kidney beans – drained
- 1 (450g) package of soup mix (dry lentils, beans, etc…)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 medium onion
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- Slice off the top of a whole bulb of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and pepper. Roast in a 350° oven, wrapped in tin foil for 1 hour.
- In a large pot, add 2 cans of tomatoes and tomato paste. Using a potato masher, crush the tomatoes. Add to the pot both kinds of drained beans. Mix.
- Add the package of soup mix and 6 cups of vegetable stock. Mix. Pot should be on medium heat.
- Add basil, bay leaves, pepper, and garlic salt. Mix well.
- Add chopped onion, carrot and celery. Mix.
- Finally, take the roasted garlic out of the oven and using tongs, hold the bottom of the clove while using a side of the knife to push out the garlic. Add and mix.
- Simmer for 3 hours, remove bay leaves, and enjoy!
This item was part of our food swap on November 15th, 2012. This dish was swapped for: