Prepared & Submitted by Gillian May, based off of recipe from The Canadian Living Test Kitchen
Lentil Feta Salad
Portion size: 6
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano (dried is fine as well)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 ½ cups diced cucumbers
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup diced red onions or sweet onions
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
In a small skillet, toast almonds over medium heat, stirring often until golden brown – this’ll take you about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add lentils and garlic, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until tender – about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; drain again. Discard garlic.
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Add lentils, cucumber, tomatoes, onion and parsley; toss to coat.
Stir in almonds and all but ¼ cup of the feta; sprinkle with the remaining feta before serving.
This item was part of our food swap on November 15th, 2012. This dish was swapped for:
- Kayla’s Minestrone
- Kayla’s Brownies
- Sonia’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Jenn’s Shepherd-less Pie
- Hannah’s Ginger-Miso Soup & Burdock Root
- Megan’s Quinoa & Beet Salad
- Ben’s Dark Chocolate & Mint Chocolate Faux Truffles